Spring is in the air and summer is right around the corner! As the weather warms up and plant life begins to bloom, why not get inspired for your summer travel nurse assignment? If you have children, summer break is a perfect time to go places—plus travel can be a beneficial experience for your family. If you haven’t yet, summer 2017 can be the first time you bring your family on your travel job!
There’s a lot to take into consideration when planning for your next summer travel RN placement. You need to decide where to go, plan where you’ll live and line up your state license, for starters. If you have a spouse and children, you might wonder if it’s a good idea to bring them along for the journey. Well… it is, and here are five reasons why:
- Stronger family bonds. Why is travel good for children? Because families that play together, stay together! Travel allows you to see and experience the sights and sounds of a new place with your family. This is so much different than touring an area on your own and reporting back with your stories and photos—your loved ones can be part of the fun!
- Hands-on learning. What’s the difference between seeing a picture of the ocean on the internet versus feeling the chilly salt water lapping around your ankles? It gives you an appreciation for the world around you, beyond what you see on TV. You can add to your summer travel experience by asking your children to read about events, monuments and natural attractions in the region where you’re going before they experience it firsthand.
- Cultural appreciation. Being open-minded to different cultures is key to appreciating what makes everyone different but also the same. Learning about different cultures can give your family a worldly outlook, plus submerging yourselves in other languages is the first step towards becoming bilingual. If your spouse or children have experience learning another language, your summer travel placement can be an opportunity to practice new language skills!
- Appreciation for history. Travel allows your family to visit the locations where history happened. Taking time to see these sites can help bring to life what your children have learned in school. You might consider taking a guided tour to provide more in-depth information on war monuments, historical towns, museums and other important sites.
- Memorable experiences. Children grow up quickly. Your summer travel RN assignment, is a great opportunity to spend time together and make lasting memories. It will give everyone something to share once school is back in session!
What to know before you go
Once you’ve decided to bring your spouse and children along this summer, work with your recruiter to secure housing. Be sure you have a place to stay with adequate space, plus one that’s pet-friendly if your family includes four-legged companions. It’s also important to choose housing that’s in a safe location, and close to laundry facilities, a park, etc. Your recruiter will work with you to consider anything else you’ll need.
How to find a travel nurse recruiter
If you’re wondering how to travel with your family or looking for placements in the best cities for travel nurses, reach out to MedPro Healthcare Staffing. This summer and beyond, we’ll help you find assignments that match your career and travel goals! To learn more, call MedPro Healthcare Staffing at 1-800-866-8108 to speak with one of our dedicated recruiters or apply for a travel nursing job below.
To read more about travel nursing, check out our past blogs: