As a travel nurse, you’ll get to see the world, work when you want to, meet new people and boost the experience section on your resume. It’s a great opportunity for a nurse who wants flexibility in their career, and it’s a great way to learn and grow in your profession. To become a travel nurse, you may wonder what’s required. Well, look no further—MedPro Healthcare Staffing has compiled this helpful guide as a resource. Here’s what you need to know.
(Ready to search for open travel nursing jobs?)
Requirements for Travel Nursing With MedPro Healthcare Staffing
Our nurses must have:
- A valid license to practice—this will require you to obtain licensure in each new state you travel to.
- A minimum of one year of recent nursing experience.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in your nursing specialty.
You’ll need to complete an application, which includes a skills checklist—we’ll need additional information beyond your resume.
Characteristics that make a successful travel nurse
Do you have what it takes to succeed as a travel nurse? You’ll need to travel from one assignment to the next, and pick up each new position quickly. To do their jobs well, travel nurses need the following characteristics:
- Travel assignments usually last about 13 weeks, which means you’ll be moving around quite a bit in a year’s time. With each new placement, you’ll need to quickly adapt to new people, patients and surroundings.
- People skills. Travel nurses get to meet new friends and experience different cultures. If you’re a people person who can comfortably get used to new co-workers, you could be a good fit as a traveler.
- A calm demeanor. Nursing can be stressful. But if you can keep a level head and think clearly when the heat is on, you’ll greatly increase your chances of success.
- A love of travel. It goes without saying that travel itself has a list of responsibilities. You’ll need to pack, plan for transportation and find your way around a new city each time you head out on assignment. But some people find this adventure exhilarating! If you’re one of them, you could be a good fit as a travel nurse.
A rewarding profession
Travel nurses gain an opportunity their stationary counterparts may not—they get more experience in a shorter amount of time. If this sounds like the career path you’ve been waiting for, don’t hesitate to contact MedPro Healthcare Staffing.
How to apply
If you’re ready to set sail, just reach out to our experienced recruiters. You can reach us by email using our contact form, by phone at 1.800.886.8108, or apply for a job below: