Are you considering a gig as a travel nurse? This career shift offers you the opportunity to work within varying care settings and cultures while building your resume and experiencing new places. Sound exciting? It is, but like most career changes, it’s important to ask yourself a few key questions before deciding to make the leap. If you’re wondering why become a travel nurse, here’s what you need to know.
What can you expect from a “day in the life” of a travel nurse? You might be a perfect match for a career as a travel RN if you find yourself nodding yes to most of the following:
- You’re open to trying a new placement every 13 weeks or so. This is about how long a travel nurse placement lasts, though some assignments can be extended if the facility continues to need extra hands.
- You find it easy to meet new people and settle into new situations. Travel RNs are perpetually the “new kid” and must be open to making fast introductions and breaking the ice with new co-workers. Plus, they need to quickly learn the ins and outs of a new job and facility.
- You love to travel and experience new ways of life. If you have a bucket list of places you’d like to see, your travel nurse career can take you there! This is one of the benefits of being a travel RN.
- Your family and pets are OK being on the road with you. Or if not, they’re OK with you being away for part of the year. Travel nurses can bring family and pets on each assignment—it’s all a matter of checking with your recruiter for adequate housing.
- You work well with your recruiter. They are your trusted partner to find placements you love, keep your credentials current, understand tax rules and more. The more feedback you can give your recruiter, the more they will be able to fit you with the best travel nurse assignments.
- You’re looking to build up your nursing resume. One of the major advantages of travel nursing is the opportunity to learn and grow in your nursing career. This has its challenges and rewards, but as a travel nurse, you’ll be able to spread your wings and expand your body of nursing knowledge.
- You embrace technology and social media. To keep up with your loved ones, take advantage of social media, FaceTime, blogs and other technology. And as you navigate your new city, you can also use apps, GPS and other technology.
Wondering how to find a travel nurse placement?
It helps to work with a great travel nurse recruiter, and MedPro Healthcare Staffing is your number one choice. We’ll work with you to understand your career needs and find placements in the best cities for travel nurses. Plus, we want every travel nurse experience to be your best—so we offer we offer perks, support and even gifts. To learn more, give us a call at 1-800-866-8108 or apply below.
To read more about being a travel nurse, check out our past blog posts:
- 6 Reasons You Should Take a Travel Healthcare Recruiter’s Call
- Considering Being a Travel Nurse? Here’s What You Need to Know About Certifications
- Eight In-Demand Skills for Travel Nurses in 2017