“You treat a disease: you win, you lose. You treat a person, I guarantee you win—no matter the outcome.” —Robin Williams in Patch Adams
“Nurses Make a Difference: Anytime, Anywhere − Always” is this year’s National Nurses Week theme, May 6 through May 12. Nurses Week is an opportunity to recognize and celebrate nurses for their hard work and dedication. More than 4 million nurses work in the United States, providing essential, quality care to patients of all ages and conditions. Nurses serve as the first point of contact for many patients during what may well be the scariest and most vulnerable time of their life. Nurses weathered the COVID pandemic and continue to deliver quality care in the wake of workforce shortages and increased demand. National Nurses Week is a time to honor their contributions and sacrifices.
The History of National Nurses Week
The first attempt to recognize nurses was in 1953 when Dorothy Sutherland of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower to proclaim a “Nurse Day.” Sutherland wasn’t successful, but her efforts would inspire others, and finally, in 1982, President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation for a “National Recognition Day for Nurses” to be observed on May 6. Eight years later, the American Nurses Association’s Board of Directors expanded the recognition, declaring May 6 – 12, 1991, National Nurses Week, with the week ending on Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Each year we celebrate the nursing profession on those dates.
Ways to Celebrate and Support Nurses
- Promote National Nurses Week in your community.
- Support legislation that benefits nurses.
- Donate blood.
- Write a thank-you note to a nurse you know.
- Send a nurse a surprise meal or spa session.
- Drop off a unit gift basket.
- Use in-house hospital programs that recognize employees.
Discounts and Special Deals for Nurses
- Chipotle is giving away over $1 million in free food to healthcare heroes.
- iRobot Nurses get up to 15 percent off select robots.
- Verizon Nurses and their families can get 4 lines for $20 each through the welcome unlimited package.
- Ray-Ban is offering 15 percent off purchases with ID.me verification
- Luluemon Get 15 percent off with the First Responder discount in-store or online using your ID.
Check out more discounts and deals for Nurses Week at nurse.org
Are you a Registered Nurse or Allied Health Professional looking to work and travel in the U.S.? With MedPro’s all-new MedPro Experience+ (MPX+), travel nurses and allied health professionals are taking control of their careers. MPX+ puts the power in travelers’ hands. Users have 24/7, real-time access to jobs, applications, credentials, assignment details, and more. Sign Up for MedPro Experience + today!
And download the APP at Google Store: https://lnkd.in/esAmN5MM or iPhone App Store: https://lnkd.in/eUuEJmXt