To travel or not to travel—that is the question you may ask yourself when you’d like a career change. Travel physical therapy can be rewarding and exciting, as well as a great way to learn and grow. But, like any career, it’s only the right move for the right physical therapist. Do you have what it takes to be a successful travel PT? Here’s what you’ll need to think about.
Qualities of successful travel PTs
Before you make the leap into travel work, consider the following characteristics that most travel workers possess:
- Flexibility. As a travel PT, you’ll be changing assignments every 13 weeks or so (depending on the length of your contract). You’ll need to quickly adapt to a new clinic, new rules and procedures, new team members, new patients, a new living situation and route to work, etc. The more flexible you are, the better you’ll do as a travel PT.
- A friendly, outgoing personality. As you move from position to position, you’ll constantly be coming into contact with new faces. It’s best to be a people person who enjoys getting to know others better. This way, you’ll make friends easily and won’t get lonely while you’re on the road. Plus it will help you quickly build rapport with your patients.
- A desire for adventure. You’ll be assigned to new cities and surrounded by all kinds of things to do in your free time. Sure, you don’t need to go out adventuring when you’re off duty. But if you do, you’ll be able to maximize your time on your assignment and experience everything your city has to offer. Plus, you’ll just have more fun while you’re there.
- Excellent organizational skills. As a travel PT, you’ll pick up a whole new caseload at each new assignment. If you’re organized, it will help you stay focused and clear-headed to move through each new assignment as easily as possible.
- Passion for your career. It goes without saying that passion for your career will show through in your work. Regardless of whether you’re a travel PT or you work in a full-time position, the more you desire to help others through physical therapy, the better you’ll be at your job.
Is a travel PT career the right choice for you?
As you review the above list, do you find yourself thinking, “That sounds just like me”? If so, travel physical therapy could be a great career move for you.
If you’re ready to start your next adventure, contact MedPro Healthcare Staffing
We’re a healthcare staffing company that places physical therapists with travel opportunities across the country. To learn more about how MedPro Healthcare Staffing can help you expand your PT career, contact one of our experienced recruiters today.