“Nurses Make a Difference” is the theme for this year’s National Nurses Week, which runs May 6 through May 12, Florence Nightingale’s birthday. Nurses Week is an opportunity to celebrate nurses and the nursing profession. More than 4 million RNs work in the United States, keeping communities healthy and safe. Nurses serve as the first point of contact for most patients and are trusted to ensure quality care and services. And according to a 2021 American Nurse Journal survey, they love their job. Eighty-five percent of nurses said they would choose their current career if they had to do it all over again. National Nurses Week is a time to honor their contributions and sacrifices.
The History of National Nurses Week
The first attempt to recognize nurses was in 1953 when Dorothy Sutherland of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower to proclaim a “Nurse Day.” Sutherland wasn’t successful, but her efforts would inspire others, and finally, in 1982, President Ronald Reagan signed a proclamation for a “National Recognition Day for Nurses” to be observed on May 6. Eight years later, the American Nurses Association’s Board of Directors expanded the recognition, declaring May 6 – 12, 1991, National Nurses Week.
Ways to Celebrate and Support Nurses
· Promote National Nurses Week in your community.
· Support legislation that benefits nurses.
· Donate blood.
· Write a thank-you note to a nurse you know.
· Send a nurse a surprise meal or spa session.
· Drop off a unit gift basket.
· Use in-house hospital programs that recognize employees.
Discounts and Special Deals for Nurses
· Outback gives nurses and medical staff 10 percent off their checks.
· Sleep Number offers 20 percent off select mattresses, bases, and bedding to healthcare professionals.
· Crocs is teaming up with FIGS to give away Classic Crocs shoes and scrubs.
· Budget, Enterprise, and National offer 25 percent discounts to nurses on car rentals.
· Eyemart Express gives nurses a 20 percent discount on all prescription eyewear.