June is widely recognized as Men’s Health Month, with June 14th – 20th, 2021 dedicated to Men’s Health Week. As this time is so close to Father’s Day, it focuses on recognizing and preventing both physical and mental health issues for men of all ages. The goal is to create positive health habits and seek regular medical advice before it is too late.
Men will do almost anything to avoid going to the doctor. Did you know most men would rather go shopping with their wives than make a doctor appointment? A Cleveland Clinic study found that over 40% of men only go to the doctor when they think they have a serious medical condition. In addition, key findings showed:
- Only 3 out of 5 men get annual physicals.
- 3 out of 5 men feel COVID-19 has had a more negative impact on their mental health than the 2008 recession.
- More than half of men said their health was a topic of embarrassment and something they avoided.
The encouraging news is that men do pay more attention to their health as they age. However, when it comes to diseases and prevention, it often comes too late. Screenings males should not ignore include: blood pressure (biggest risk for heart disease), colon cancer (by age 50), prostate health, obesity, and depression.
Ways you can start the conversation
- The Cleveland Clinic sponsors – “National MENtion It®” – an educational program that addresses the barriers that keep men from going to the doctor or seeking preventative care.
- Visit org for more information on what you can do to “start the conversation” on social media around men’s health.
- Wear Blue Day – June 18 Friday Before Father’s Day (June 20th)
Men’s Health Month is an opportunity for individuals, spouses, families, and friends to raise awareness and keep those important men in our life happy and healthy! #MensHealth Month #ShowUsYourBlue #WearBlueForMen #WearBlue4Men #MensHealthWeek #MHM2021
Are you a Registered Nurse or Allied Health Professional looking to work and travel the U.S.?
MedPro Healthcare Staffing is a Joint Commission-certified and leading provider of healthcare contract staffing services to facilities across the U.S. To find out more, APPLY NOW or call us, at (800) 886-8108.