Being on your feet for long shifts can be hard, beyond the daily demands of being a nurse. But you need to maintain a clear head and lots of energy to provide good service to your patients. So what can you do to keep your spirits up from the time you walk in the door until the time you walk back out?
Five ways for nurses to stay energized
Before you reach for a strong cup of coffee, here are five healthier alternatives for energy during your travel nursing shifts:
- Grab something minty. You might try gum or a mint tea. The invigorating flavor of mint can help awaken your senses so you feel refreshed.
- Always take your breaks and do something you enjoy. It’s good for your attention span to shift focus every now and again, which is why break time is so important. So step outside to breathe in some fresh air, or read a favorite magazine, listen to a song or two, or watch something funny on YouTube. Do something that allows you to relax for a few minutes before jumping back into your shift.
- Have a high-protein snack. Since protein is digested more slowly than carbohydrates, high-protein snacks allow for sustained energy release. Try an apple with peanut butter, cheese and crackers, a handful of raw almonds, yogurt or some cottage cheese and sliced fruit.
- Wear the right shoes. It’s amazing how quickly you’ll feel drained when your feet hurt. Always wear shoes with cushiony soles and proper support. When your feet are happy, your mood will soon follow.
- Take good care of yourself. This includes eating healthy, and getting regular exercise and plenty of rest. When you feel good on the inside, you’ll be much more prepared to weather long, demanding shifts.
It also helps to maintain a strong social network
Making friends at your travel placement, plus keeping in touch with friends and family back home, is good for your well-being. And maintaining a positive attitude is energizing in itself!
Looking for your next travel nurse opportunity?
Your recruiter will work with you to find travel placements you love, in cities you can cross off your bucket list. Check out MedPro Healthcare Staffing! We’re a top travel RN staffing agency that offers top notch service plus the unique MedPro Experience. To learn more, call 1-800-866-8108 or apply below.
Want to keep reading? Check out our past posts: