Volunteerism is a great way to improve your outlook while on assignment. It can boost your sense of well-being and involvement in your community. Giving back can also help you expand your travel nurse resume by adding a variety of experiences. Plus, you can get out socialize in your free time. Volunteer opportunities for travel nurses help you stay well rounded—both in your nursing career and in your life. So, while on assignment, are you looking for ways travel RNs can give back? You can make your volunteer experience a positive one by following a few easy tips.
Simply follow these five tips if you’re a travel RN wondering how to give back to the community:
- Know what you’d like to do. Are you looking to expand your nursing experience within your specialty or try something a little different? Knowing the type of volunteer experience you’re looking for will help guide your search.
- Check within your facility. When wondering how to give back to the community, you may be able to find opportunities within your travel nurse placement. Talk to human resources, a facility director, your supervisor or even your recruiter about how to get involved within your facility, either during or after your regular shifts.
- Consider traveling abroad. Travel nurse assignments are available within the United States as well as overseas—and so are volunteer opportunities. If you’re looking to volunteer internationally, you can work with your travel nurse recruiter for overseas placements in locations where you’d like your volunteer work to take you.
- Try something different. There are many types of volunteer assignments for travel nurses. But beyond nursing, what causes do you hold near and dear? You may wish to help a women’s shelter, work in a soup kitchen or food pantry, volunteer with the Special Olympics, be a Big Sister or Big Brother, help homeless pets, offer your services to build homes for the less fortunate—you have so many options for ways to give back!
- Reach out to co-workers. Giving back on assignment doesn’t necessarily have to mean joining a volunteer effort. You can also give back by simply extending your help to the nurses around you. Can you step in and work an extra day for a co-worker whose child has gotten sick? Can you give guidance or professional support to one of your team members? Or maybe another nurse just needs an ear to bend for a few minutes. Giving back can come in all shapes and sizes!
Spread love and compassion in 2017.
You can make the world a better place by sharing your unique gifts. Whether it’s your nursing experience, your knack for listening, your easy way with animals or simply your time, every little bit helps. Take time to improve your outlook, get social and help others in the new year.
Looking for your next travel nurse opportunity?
Check out MedPro Healthcare Staffing. Our original and caring approach to travel nurse staffing puts you at the center of the equation! Through our extended support and guidance, we’ll make every assignment your best yet. To learn more, call MedPro Healthcare Staffing at 1-800-866-8108 to speak with one of our dedicated recruiters or apply for a travel nursing job below.
For more information about volunteer opportunities for travel nurses, take a look at our past blog posts: