MedPro Blog

Tips for Foreign Therapists | Finding Travel Jobs in the United States

Are you planning to travel from your current country to the United States for therapy work? This can be a tough decision, especially if you will be leaving friends and loved ones behind. But it can be a huge boost for your therapy career, especially since healthcare professionals are in high demand in the U.S. You can make the transition much faster and easier on yourself by following a few key transition tips.

How to find a job in the U.S. as a foreign travel therapist

  1. Work with a recruiter. No, this is not a requirement to travel for the U.S. for employment. However, recruiters with experience placing foreign therapists already know what you need to do for your transition—so you can quickly get started with your new job! This way, you’ll avoid the hassle of researching immigration procedures on your own. A recruiter can help you with all the following steps.
  2. Obtain your work visa. This is necessary for healthcare work in the U.S., to ensure you have the proper training, education and experience. You’ll need to apply for your healthcare worker certification, also known as a VisaScreen certificate. You’ll be able to obtain a temporary or permanent visa, issued by either the Foreign Credentialing Committee on Physical Therapy (FCCPT) or the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
  3. Gain state licensure. Even if you have license to practice therapy in your home country, you’ll need to obtain licensure in the state you move to. To do this, you’ll need to take a licensing exam prior to beginning your new therapy position.
  4. Retake special training. If you’ve chosen to specialize in a specific branch of the therapy field, it’s important to note that specialties do not transfer to your new position in the United States. This means you’ll need to retake any specialized training once you arrive.
  5. Complete an English language exam. If English is not your first language, that’s OK. You’ll simply need to take a language exam. The TOEFL® English-language test is one of the most widely respected language exams in the world. It measures your language skills in terms of how well you read, write and speak the English language.

Looking for a recruiter with experience?

If you’ve made the decision to travel to the U.S. for work, you’re probably excited to get here! So by working with a recruiter, you can rest easy that the process will go more smoothly than handling things by yourself. And your best choice is a recruiter with experience specific to the transition of healthcare workers.

Check out MedPro Healthcare Staffing

You can rely on MedPro Healthcare Staffing to meet your employment needs. We’ll work with you to find a travel therapy position that matches your skills, experience and career goals. And we’ll offer you help with your transition, including transferring your license and credentials to the U.S. To learn more about our professional resources, contact MedPro Healthcare Staffing today!