Today is National Eat What You Want Day and it is time to get crazy! Chances are, you have a unique pairing that is your go-to snack and, as a healthcare professional, you need two things that you can throw together on the run. Restricting yourself from your favorite treats can be difficult, so today is all about satisfying that sweet tooth, carb-loading or just enjoying a food marathon.
This is America and we love our cheeseburgers, French fries, ice cream and, of course, cultural favorites like pizza, tacos, and burritos. Today is the day you should eat with no worry of consequences. Break the routine and pack something exciting for each of your 3-6 meals!
You have probably been sticking to a strict workout regimen and diet, but today is about cutting loose and eating whatever you want! If you are tired of the conventional celebratory bag of chips, candy bar or other forms of junk food, let the below list give you an idea of what to try next.
10 Seemingly Weird Food Combinations That Actually Taste Great Together!
- Avocados and Chocolate: There are numerous possibilities here. You can add an avocado spread to your dark chocolate bar, opt for chocolate dressing over avocado ice cream, blend the two for a chocolate-avocado smoothie or add some Nutella to avocado toast.
- Ice Cream and Olive Oil: Do not knock it till you try it! There is actually a global community which swears by this sweet-and-salty combo. One thing to try is drizzling oil over some ice cream and adding a sprinkle of sea salt or Himalayan pink salt.
- Apple Pie and Cheddar Cheese: This is about as American as, well, Apple Pie with cheddar cheese on it. People already wrap apple slices in cheese. Yep, that is a thing. But adding cheese to apple pie actually originated in England. In some southern states, you can actually find cheddar cheese mixed into apple pie crust or sprinkled along the top of the pie, itself.
- Proscuitto and Melon: This partnership is quite common in Italy, where it is common to enjoy sliced meat and a side of fruit, especially in the summer. You can wrap melon wedges in the meat or just enjoy it on a platter, side-by-side.
- Pickles and Peanut Butter: Another spin on a sweet-and-salty treat is pickles and PB! There is a number of ways to prepare the combo, like simply dipping pickles into PB or slicing pickles and layering your PB or (peanut butter and jelly) PBJ sandwich.
- Pizza and Ranch Dressing: This one is actually pretty common; despite the sheer horror it causes to traditional Italians. This combo, no doubt, started in a school cafeteria somewhere as a dare and spawned into a late-night college town classic. You can drizzle your pizza with the dressing or just dip your slice into it with each bite, especially for the crust.
- Steak and Blueberries: There are more recipes online than you would think for this combo, which include a blueberry dressing for your steak and a steak and blueberries salad. You always have the option of cooking a steak with a side of blueberries too. Sky’s the limit.
- French Fries and Honey: This one is not as weird as some of the others on the list but has something in common with a few of them in combining a sweet-and-sour taste. In preparing it, just drizzle honey on your fries or pour some honey and dip your fries. It is all gravy!
- Green Apples and Salsa: This is where things start to go South. You probably already eat salsa with mangoes or pineapple in it, so apples should be ok too. The tart and salt offset each other and make for a satisfying mix. You can dip your apples in the salsa or combine them to make an apple salsa, but either way, it could take some getting used to.
- Butternut Squash and Miso: Adding butternut squash to your miso soup adds a great complementary flavor to it. You can also treat your miso as a gravy and pour it over sliced squash. There are many recipes for this method online.
Have any food combinations that you pair together that did not make the list? Let us know!
At MedPro, we recognize the stress the pandemic has caused for healthcare professionals. Our blog aims to educate and keep them informed. Our MedPro Experience program is intended to reward our valued frontline heroes, via personalized gifts like, tokens of appreciation, work anniversaries and spotlighting important life moments. Additionally, we also recently launched our new freestyle rewards program, The Purple Circle, which allows you to select how you are rewarded in opting for gifts or cash.
Advance Your Career at MedPro Healthcare Staffing!
Healthcare companies are looking for travel nurses and allied professionals now, more than ever! We are among the top staffing companies in the country and offer our Explorers what no other company can, the MedPro Experience! To find out more, APPLY or call us, at +1 (800) 866-8108.