National Domestic Violence Awareness Month is recognized each October as a time to educate, advocate, and be a voice for the victims of domestic violence. Domestic violence affects all people – regardless of gender, age, race, religion, education, socio-economic background, sexual orientation, or nationality. The most common misconception surrounding domestic violence is that it is always physical violence. Abuse can be emotional, verbal, sexual, and psychological and is a pattern of behavior in any relationship used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner.
Domestic Violence Statistics: (Source: NCADV)
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
- Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.
- Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.
- Approximately 1 in 5 female victims and 1 in 20 male victims need medical care.3
- Female victims sustain injuries 3x more often than male victims.4
- 1 in 5 female victims and 1 in 9 male victims need legal services.5
- 23.2% of women and 13.9% of men have experienced severe physical violence by an intimate partner during their lifetime.
- 19% of intimate partner violence involves a weapon.
In 2018, the Domestic Violence Awareness Project created a unified message under the #1Thing hashtag. Its focus is to move people from awareness to action. Remember, identifying and recognizing abuse is the first step. Ending domestic violence starts with #1Thing – once small action.
Click here to identify the types of abuse, warning signs, and more. If you or someone you know needs help, there are resources.
Domestic Violence Resources
- National Domestic Violence Hotline – 1.800.799.SAFE (7233)
- National Dating Abuse Helpline – 1.866.337.9474
- National Child Abuse Hotline/Childhelp – 1.800.4.A.CHILD (1.800.422.4453)
- National Sexual Assault Hotline – 1.800.656.4673 (HOPE)
Are you a Registered Nurse or Allied Health Professional looking to work and travel the U.S.?
MedPro Healthcare Staffing is a Joint Commission-certified and leading provider of healthcare contract staffing services to facilities across the U.S. To find out more, APPLY NOW or call us, at (800) 886-8108.