MedPro Blog

What is an American Social Security Number?

If you’re preparing to live and work in the U.S. as a foreign trained healthcare professional, you might have already heard that you need an American social security number once you arrive.

An American Social Security number used in order for you to get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and receive other services provided by the U.S. government if you are a U.S. citizen. If you are a non-citizen living in the U.S. and wish to work in the country, you will also need a Social Security number.

Social Security numbers are needed for foreign-trained healthcare professionals working in the U.S. (citizen or non-citizen) in order to report wages to the government and see if you are eligible for benefits. You will also need a Social Security number for other aspects of living in the U.S., such as:

  • Opening a bank account
  • Medical benefits
  • Tax returns (federal and state)
  • Employment records
  • Applying for benefits of government assistance
  • Applying for a federal loan
  • Getting your driver’s license
  • Buying a car

MedPro can help you obtain a Social Security number while you are undergoing the immigration process. For more information on how MedPro helps with Social Security, give us a call today at 1-800-866-8108 or apply by clicking on the banner below!

foreign-trained professionals