Travel healthcare offers you the perfect combination of career growth and cultural experience. If you’re looking to begin your travel career or just shopping around for a new travel healthcare firm, you’ll want to thoroughly evaluate your staffing choices. You can do this by asking the right questions; this will help you find the best recruiter to match you with travel placements that fit your skills, needs and expectations. Here’s what you can do.
Looking for a travel healthcare recruiter? Ask these ten questions.
Your recruiter is your job coach on your travel healthcare journey. He or she is a key part of your satisfaction in the assignments you accept. While comparing staffing firms, ask yourself the following:
- Does the firm offer health insurance or other benefits? If you need it, you’ll want to find out if the staffing agency offers medical, dental or vision coverage, or other benefits, including 401(k) and paid time off. If they do offer benefits, be sure to ask how much they cost and if there’s a healthcare stipend available if you opt out of the health insurance plan.
- How much help does the recruiter provide? You may prefer to mostly go it alone, or you may want support when you need it. Though it’s always a good idea to have a contact for when you have questions, staffing agencies offer varying levels of support. You’ll want to find a firm that provides what you need.
- Where do you want to travel? Where in the country (or the world!) you’d like to go can help you determine which staffing firm to work with. Some agencies offer regional placements, and others offer nationwide or even international assignments.
- How many hours do you want to work per week? Travel healthcare agencies may offer varying hourly schedules, such as 36, 40 or 48-hour work weeks. Based on your preferences, you’ll need to choose which assignments will work for you.
- What is the pay? The best way to evaluate pay is to decide if, based on the location and job description, the amount is right for you.
- What kind of housing do you need? Whether you’re traveling by yourself or with others (for example, a spouse, children or pets), you’ll want to make sure you can find adequate housing to meet your needs. Ask staffing firms if they offer housing placements or if it will be up to you to find a temporary residence.
- Will you be reimbursed for travel? It’s an expense to get to—and get around during—your travel assignment. Find out if you’ll be reimbursed for your travel, whether by air, train, subway or car.
- Does the firm reimburse for professional requirements? As a healthcare professional, you’ll need certain registrations, licensure, continuing education and immunizations. Find out if your staffing firm covers upfront or reimburses any of these expenses.
- How often will you be paid? Are checks cut weekly, biweekly, monthly, etc.? This is information you’ll definitely need as you determine how to cover your bills and other expenses.
- Will you qualify for any bonuses? Some staffing agencies may offer performance bonuses, or other incentives, such as bonuses for accepting extended assignments. Find out what, if any, bonus programs staffing agencies offer.
Are you ready?
When you’re ready to set sail, consider the experienced recruiters at MedPro Healthcare Staffing. We place nurses, therapists and allied healthcare professionals with travel assignments across the country, and we’ll work with you for a job opportunity that is just right. To learn more about how MedPro Healthcare Staffing can help you launch your travel career forward, contact us today.